Search This Blog

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Hospital Again

Yes again. Monday we went to the doctor for a follow up from last weeks hospital admission. Ariana was wheezing so the doctor put her back on steroids. That night she was not able to maintain her oxygen levels above 90%, so we put her on oxygen (thank God we still have some). I was giving her treatments every 2-4 hrs trying to keep her airways open til the morning to get her to the doctor. I knew I was doing everything they would do in the ER, I called her doctor just for approval that what I was doing was fine. By 4am she was on 1.5 liters of pure O2 which is pretty high and she was still having levels in the low 90's where usually they would be 100% with any amount of O2. So I knew it was time.

I will admit, I started acting silly. A little annoyed that I was making this trip again. I started telling Carlos I'm buying a bright orange sweat suit for our hospital trips, so they know who we are and that maybe we could even get a permanent bed. I was ridiculous, I guess after being up most of the night and after the various trips already made...I wasn't happy. Then I got stopped by the police on my way for speeding, but he did let me go as he saw Ari in the back seat with a monitor and oxygen.

She's still in the hospital. She was diagnosed with pneumonia and RSV. Another frustrating thing since she receives a vaccine for RSV (respiratory virus). This virus is dangerous for babies under 2yrs old and since she was a preemie and has tracheal malaysia (narrow airway) it's more troublesome. She's is doing better, just not able to maintain her O2 levels while she sleeps. Although we have O2 at home, they generally don't release babies who require O2, so they want to be extra cautious and we're ok with that.

God is awesome and has a perfect plan, as I always say, in spite of what it looks like. I need to be reminded sometimes when I feel frustrated and helpless. I loose focus of where our help comes from...the Lord, we begin thinking we're the one's who have all this under control. Sometimes God has to remind us - if it weren't for His grace.

1 comment:

All 8 of Us said...

Just checking in and saw this latest post :( How is your sweet Ari?? IS she home yet from the hospital? How are the rest of the kiddos holding up? Thinking of you and praying for you!!
Blessings,
kathi