Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Tube Came Out While Papi Held Her

The night before last Carlos went to visit Ari and while he held her (for about 2 minutes) her tube came out. Since the tube is taped to her face, he couldn't see that it was no longer down her throat, but he could hear her making noises which we don't hear with the tube in. Along with the tube coming out, alarms were set off. But since the alarms go off for so many different things, it took them a few seconds to realize it was because the tube was out. Ari is able to breathe on her own but starts having trouble after a while. So when they realized it, there was a rush of people, she was immediately removed from Carlos' arms. Believe me, this was more traumatizing for Carlos than it was for Ari.

Ari was put on cpap (like the nasal cannula). She has been working really hard to keep breathing on her own. I walked in yesterday to see her chest caving in because she was struggling so much. Her right lung collapsed again. The problem is the swelling in her throat and airway because of the tube going in and out so much. They are giving her medication for the swelling and medication that reminds her to keep breathing. I wanted to stay with her all night, but Carlos wouldn't let me :( I know he means well. So I just called them all thru the night to check on her.

She hasn't had the tube put back in. She had a rough night. I was really hard watching her but I understand why they are doing this. I saw some nurses panicking and wanting to have her to have the tube put back in again, but when the doctor explained that we need to give her a full chance to do this, the oxygen levels in her blood have been fine and she maintains her oxygen with a few episodes of her levels dropping. He explained with the tube out, they can work on the swelling coming down and she'll be fine.

In a perfect world, no one would go thru this. I just held her hand all day and only left her side because I had to use the bathroom. I told her she had to be a big/little girl and for her, this was part of growing up. More importantly reminded her she was in God's hand and that was the best place to be.

No comments: